Japanese Studies students are encouraged to participate in the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) or UCSD's Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP), while still making progress towards completing their major or minor.
For information specific to the Japanese Studies Program, please view our Major Advising Page (MAP) (PDF). You may also contact the Programs Abroad Office at (858) 534-1123 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(For students who participate in study abroad programs of at least 1 year in length)
- 8 units of non-language upper-division courses
- 12 units of upper-division language courses
- Double majors may transfer 12 units of upper-division language courses and 12 units of non-language upper-division courses
- 4 units of non-language upper-division course work
Petitions for exceptions will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Courses completed abroad must be approved by the Japanese Studies Program (see the guidelines below).
Before Leaving Abroad
Students considering studying abroad should discuss their plans with the Japanese Studies Advisor, before going abroad. Students should note that:
- courses to be transferred toward the major or minor must be the equivalent of at least four quarter upper-division units at UCSD
- course content must be 33% Japan content or more
- courses must involve as much work as UCSD upper-division courses
IMPORTANT: Student will need to be able to provide supporting evidence of all abroad courses to be applied to their major or minor. Please save all syllabi, papers, and exams.
Returning From Abroad
Please follow the instructions carefully to petition abroad courses toward a Japanese Studies Major or Minor.
Undergraduate Student Petitions forms are available here.
- Fill out an Undergraduate Student Petition form for each course.
- Include course number and course title and attach all syllabi, handouts, papers, and exams.
- If abroad transcript has not been forwarded to UCSD, attach an unoffical copy. (Students may petition abroad courses pending receipt of official transcript verifying appropriate transfer credits and grade.)
- Submit your petition to the Japanese Studies advisor in HSS 3024.
- The Japanese Studies advisor will contact you upon approval. At the same time, these courses will be entered into your degree audit.
- It is advised to schedule a placement exam immediately upon return.