Major Requirements

Lower Division Requirement (9 Courses)

  1. Japanese Language: two years lower division or the transferred equivalent:
    1. Japanese 10A-B-C (First Year Japanese)
    2. Japanese 20A-B-C (Second Year Japanese)
      [Note: If your starting point is above the JAPN 130A level, the lower division language requirement will be waived. Please contact to make appropriate adjustments to your degree audit.]
  1. East Asian History: HILD 10-11-12
  2. The language requirement may be waived by demonstrating the equivalent proficiency through exam

Upper Division Requirement (12 Courses)

  1. Japanese Language: six upper-division language courses or the transferred equivalent from:
    1. Japanese Studies 130A-B-C
    2. Japanese Studies 140A-B-C
    3. Japanese Studies 150A-B-C
    4. Students may petition to include three upper-division language courses taken abroad under EAP or OAP.
  2. Japanese Studies 190 (JAPN 190): Selected Topics in Contemporary Japanese Studies. This is a seminar-style course focusing on selected topics in contemporary interdisciplinary studies of Japan. Prerequisite: upper-division standing; student must complete a minimum of one upper-division Japanese studies approved course, or consent of instructor.
  3. The remaining five courses must be taken from two or more different disciplines.
    1. Students may petition to include two nonlanguage upper-division courses taken abroad under EAP or OAP.
    2. Students may include one 199
  4. All upper division courses must be taken for a letter grade, with the exception of JAPN 199. Beginning in fall 2010, students who declare for the Japanese Studies major and minor will be allowed no more than one course with a D grade to count toward the program requirements. This new requirement will not apply to students who declared their major or minor prior to fall 2010.
  5. The language requirement can be waived by demonstrating the equivalent proficiency through exam. The required number of courses must be fulfilled by taking other nonlanguage upper-division courses.

Honors Program

Honors Program (JAPN 196A/B)

Students who qualify for honors take a two quarter sequence Japanese Studies 196A-B (Fall and Winter Quarters preferred) of directed study during which they define a research project, carry out the research, and complete an honors thesis. The completed honors thesis will be evaluated by a committee consisting of the student's thesis adviser and one other faculty member appointed by the Japanese Studies Program director.


  • Junior standing or higher
  • A GPA of 3.5 or better in the major
  • Overall GPA of 3.2 or better
  • Completion of at least four upper-division non-language courses approved by the Program in Japanese Studies.
  • Recommendation of a faculty sponsor familiar with the student's work.

How to Enroll

  1. Select a faculty member with whom you plan to do research. It is generally advised you seek a professor with whom you have taken courses with.
  2. Before meeting with a professor, have a general idea of what topic or issue you would like to research. Many times, students expand on previous papers/assignments.
    Contact the faculty member, and provide them with proof of meeting the GPA and unit requirements for 196A-B* or 199**.

    *Eligible students must have completed 90 units with at least a 3.2 Overall GPA and 3.5 Major GPA
    **Eligible students must have completed 90 units with at least a 2.5 GPA

  3. Once your placement is confirmed, complete an application (196A-B Form), course plan and reading list.
    The course plan is a written statement or outline that highlights how the research will be conducted. This will also include a list of book titles that will be read during the quarter for your research.
  4. Return the honors application, course plan and reading list to the Japanese Studies Office (HSS 1001) for final approval. Applications are due on the 8th week of the quarter prior to which you will be conducting your 196/199 research commitment. The Director of the Japanese Studies Program will make the approval decision within 7-10 working days from the receipt of the form.

Double Major

How to Declare a Double Major

Facts about double majors:

  • You can count lower-division courses toward both majors
  • Both majors must be completed within 15 quarters if you entered as a freshman, or 9 quarters if you entered as a transfer student
  • You can't choose two majors within the School of Engineering or within a single department
  1. Make sure you meet the requirements:
    1. To declare a double major, you must:
      • Have completed at least 90 units and no more than 135 units
      • Have at least a 2.50 overall GPA
      • Have completed a majority of the prerequisites for both majors
      • Be able to satisfy the requirements for BOTH majors, including 10 upper-division courses (40 units) unique to each major
      • Be able to complete the 2 majors in no more than 240 units
      • Meet with both departments or programs and your college to discuss your academic plan
  2. Obtain and Complete a Double Major Petition
    1. Print a double major petition or obtain a petition from your college advising office
    2. Complete and attach
      1. The double major worksheet, a quarter-by-quarter planning tool (available with the petition)
      2. A brief statement of purpose (your reason for completing 2 majors)
  3. Submit the petition
    1. Take your petition to the department advisor for each major and obtain their signatures
    2. Submit the petition to your college academic advising office
  4. Check the status of your petititon
    1. Pick up the student copy of your petition at your college academic advising office
    2. Look in your Academic History to confirm that both majors appear online. Allow 5 working days for processing after approval by the college.