Independent Study (JAPN 199)
- A student must have completed at least 90.0 units at UCSD and must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 or better
- Recommendation of a faculty sponsor familiar with the student's work.
How to Enroll
- Select a faculty member with whom you plan to do research. It is generally advised you seek a professor with whom you have taken courses with.
Before meeting with a professor, have a general idea of what topic or issue you would like to research. Many times, students expand on previous papers/assignments.
Contact the faculty member, and provide them with proof of meeting the GPA and unit requirements for 196A-B* or 199**.
*Eligible students must have completed 90 units with at least a 3.2 Overall GPA and 3.5 Major GPA
**Eligible students must have completed 90 units with at least a 2.5 GPA
- Once your placement is confirmed, complete an application (199 Form), course plan and reading list.
- The course plan is a written statement or outline that highlights how the research will be conducted. This will also include a list of book titles that will be read during the quarter for your research.
- Return the application to the Japanese Studies Office (HSS 3024) for final approval. Applications are due on the 8th week of the quarter prior to which you will be conducting your 196/199 research commitment. The Department Chair will make the approval decision within 7-10 working days from the receipt of the form.
- 199 Independent Research forms must be delivered to the Registrar's Office to secure your enrollment.
- Enjoy your research!