Welcome to the Japanese Studies Program at UCSD
The Program in Japanese Studies coordinates a variety of campus offerings dealing with the language, history, culture, and political economy of Japan. The program is especially strong in the area of modern and contemporary Japan. In addition to courses availabe in the Departments of Anthropology, Economics, History, Linguistics, Literature, Music, Political Science, Sociology, Theatre and Dance and Visual Arts, qualified undergraduates may also enroll in Japan-related courses in the Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies with consent of instructors.
Japanese Studies Learning Objectives and Assessments
Fall 2012 - Japanese Language Course Information
- JAPN 10A Syllabus
- JAPN 10A Daily Schedule
- JAPN 10A Fall Quarter Schedule
- JAPN 10A Lecture Schedule
- Fall 2012 Tutorial and Lecture Schedule
- Fall 2012 TA Section Registration Instructions
- The Application for FA13 Teaching Assistants is now OPEN.
- Japanese Language Placement Testing is offered online or in person (please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information)
- Summer 2013 Internship Opportunity
The Japan Information & Culture Center (JICC), Embassy of Japan is seeking unpaid, part to full-time interns (12-35hrs/week) for Summer 2013. Internship start/end dates and hours are customized with the academic schedule of the chosen candidate. Please see the flyer for more information.
- UCLA to offer 4th year intensive summer language class
For more information on this course, please contact Lindsay Duong, Student Affairs Officer (email@example.com). For general information on the UCLA summer session, visit their website.
- The 2013-2014 Joseph Naiman Graduate Fellowship submissions are due by May 10, 2013
- The 2012-13 Joseph Naiman Graduate Fellowship in Japanese Studies have been selected
Congratulations to the following awardees:
- Michael Berman - Anthropology
- Kim De Wolff - Communications
- Kyung Hee Ha - Ethnic Studies
- Yusuke Mazumi - Sociology
Visit the Graduate page to learn more and prepare for the 2013-14 applications.
- Summer and Fall 2012 Schedule Available
A list of Summer and Fall 2012 Japanese Studies course offerings is now available.
Are you interested in taking a Japanese language course at UCSD?
Please click here for information on the placement exam.
We're on Facebook
The Japanese Studies Program has its own Facebook page!
Please click here and "Like" our page to receive the latest news and updates on our program!
Would you like to receive news and events about our program? Join the Japanese Studies Mailing List!
Email Japan@ucsd.edu and request to be added to our email list.