How to Petition Courses

Please follow the instructions carefully to petition community college and Study Abroad Program courses toward a Japanese Studies Major or Minor.

  1. Fill out an Undergraduate Student Petition form (PDF) for each course.
  2. Include course number and course title and attach all the course materials: syllabi, handouts, papers, exams, etc.
  3. Submit your petition to the Japanese Studies advisor in HSS 1001.
  4. The Japanese Studies advisor will contact you upon approval. At the same time, these courses will be entered into your degree audit.
  5. It is advised to schedule a placement exam immediately upon return.

To determine if you need to petition the courses you took at your community college in order for them to count towards your Japanese Studies major/minor, please visit

The petitioning process takes up to 3 weeks. Please be sure to submit all the required documents and information in a timely manner.